The Spring Hill Missionary Baptist Church was organized in 1887 for both religious and education purposes. In 1888, the church was dedicated by ministers of Bethel Baptist Church who were serving as overseers of all missionary Baptist congregations. Specifically, Father Paige and Elder Baily of Bethel served, as overseers of Spring Hill until the first known pastor Reverend Ephraim Argett was elected in 1899.
Through the years, the following ministers have served as pastor: Rev. Abe Norman, Rev. J.W. Kilpatrick, Rev. Charles Hawkins (twice pastor), Rev. R.L. Chason, Rev. Alex Edwards (twice pastor), Rev. Charlie Speed, Rev. R.C. Carter, Rev. J.C. Collier, and Rev. John Wesley Ford. Deacon Calvin Kilpatrick served as chairman of the first Deacons Board, Deacon John Jackson was the first church secretary, and Brother Bob Cheeseborough was the first treasurer.
In 1935, Spring Hill was completely destroyed by fire and the board structure, as we knew it, was rebuilt in 1936 on the site of the upper parking lot.
The Rev. J. C. Collier took the office of pastor in September 1939 and served unto 1969. He led the church to a respectable position among churches of the First Bethlehem Baptist Association of Florida. Under his leadership, auxiliaries that had not been in existence were organized. Mother Louisa Kilpatrick served as chairman of the Mother Board. The Pastor’s Aide society was chaired by Sister Odessa Collier, wife of the pastor. Church Secretary was Sister Lila M. Kilpatrick.
In February 1970, Spring Hill call the Rev. John Wesley Ford as pastor. Rev. Ford served for 25 years. Under his leadership, Spring Hill constructed a new sanctuary in 1980 and a new dining room in 1983. Pastor Ford retired in 1995.
In June 1995, Spring Hill was blessed to call as Pastor the Rev. Willie L. Manning. Pastor Manning has brought new direction for Spring Hill with strong leadership and dedication. His spiritual efforts have led to increase membership, additional auxiliaries and officers, radio ministry and expanded teaching ministry.
In 2013 Spring Hill completed the renovations of the front foyer. Additionally, the church’s financial assets here have more than doubled.
Currently, Spring Hill has about one hundred and fifty members, 7 deacons, one mother, 7 deaconesses and 10 ministries.
The church also respectfully acknowledges the late Deacon John L. James, who passed away in 1995. Deacon James served as chairman of the Deacon’s board and the Church’s Anniversary program for many years.
The future remains bright for Spring Hill as we continue to look to our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ. We pause and thank God for our 129 years of existence and we will continue to dedicate ourselves to spreading the Gospel of Christ.